First mentioned as far back as 1120, fourteenth century Morey was a place of asylum for Cistercian monks who appeared to have possessed numerous vineyards and even a winery by 1306. The appellation extends from Chambolle-Musigny to Gevrey-Chambertin and covers around 148 hectares, 80% of which are planted with grapes for red wines.
Les Chaffots indicates places where hay barns used to stand. Elsewhere, the name is "Echaffaud" (scaffold), forks etc. So it is probably the place where those sentenced to death were executed.
The plot is located in the Premiers Crus appellation area above "Clos Saint-Denis". The wines are planted on fossil stones, on a very steep slope.
Food & Wine Agreement
Tournedos beaugency or roasted lentils with grapes will be perfectly accompanied by this Morey-Saint-Denis Premier Cru.